Tuesday, 15 May 2012


I spent Monday fishing for resident Brown Trout. Finally a full day that would allow time for a jaunt to a nice Trout stream! The system I wanted to fish was dropping and clearing days prior to my arrival.  I knew conditions would be tough by the time I would be there. The norm these days, as planning holidays around flow rates can be tricky to say the least. Good timing is always a bonus but does not guarantee success. I love when I arrive at a stream and it is ripping at the perfect level. One does not need to hike far to find the bigger runs and slots, or fumble around and try to fish the cursed "Frog Water". This day would be filled with Hiking and exploring new water in hopes of hooking some decent Browns. I enjoyed limited success instantly. I was so eager to fish, I nymphed a skinny slot as soon as I stepped into the stream. My prize was confirmation that I needed to find some deeper runs.

That's exactly what I did. I skipped the next couple digs and headed right for a spot I had enjoyed success at  last year. It didn't take long for the line to go tight and feel the weight of a decent Brown. I was happy that my instincts led me to this fish. The 4wt had a nice bend in it and I offered the fish no line. My second fish of the morning a nice 14" Brown.  

I covered the run with no more players then headed to the next likely spot and sure enough.... Within a few minutes it was "Fish On". My third fish of the morning 13.5". 

It was still early and my friend was scheduled to show up, so I waited on the trail. Once he arrived we walked down to the next access and turned back and headed up River. The action was done, the fish had shut down completely and we were baffled. We reached the bridge with only a few small fish between the two of us. My friend had to head back as he only had the morning. I contemplated driving another hour to a well know River. I fired up the Van and headed out, as I was coming to the overpass to get on the Highway I changed my mind and continued into a small town where I stopped at a Tim Hortons for lunch and pulled out my torn road map. After eating I had formed a plan to hit another stretch I had never tried before.

And so part two of the day began... I walked a fair distance until I started to hit some nice water. Little Rainbows were abundant and aggressive.

Every bend was now just getting better and better. I was amazed at the quality of the water I was finding. Classic Trout water for sure! 

I fought with one more decent Brown that afternoon but couldn't seal the deal. Finally I had to call it a day. I broke the rod down and made the long hike back to the Van. What a great day.  A couple nice fish brought to hand and I found some new wicked water. Beauty!


  1. That is awesome Tony. Nice "salmos". When you have a full day to fish, some of the most fulfilling trips are created on the fly. Having a road map is a must!

  2. Great Blog again Tony. I will have to let you borrow my head cam to see some dry fly live video

  3. Sounds like a stellar day there Tony, congrats!!! One of these days you will have to let me tag around behind you with the camera, and maybe a lesson or two with the fly rod!!!!

  4. Hey Guys, thanks for all the comments! For some reason my computer is acting up and I am unable to reply to your comments separately.

    Gil, your gonna love that section of water if you try it!

    Thanks for the offer Red, I just might look into getting one of those head-cams.

    Brian, It did turn out to be a perfect outing!Thanks.

    Harv, Perhaps this fall, at that special run. Your good with that camera! As for the Fly Rodding, I will show you how to lob it out there, then your on your own. ;)