Monday 19 November 2012

Old Habits Die Hard...

After a couple fish on the  Spey during my recent float trip, I was eager to get back out and try for another hook-up on the Swing.  With a day spent at home Saturday,  I headed out Sunday afternoon. Arriving,  I set up with a 10' all float tip with a 6' lead of 8lb tippet and an unweighted tube fly. Starting at the top of the run I worked my way down swinging through the faster water, considering the air temps I assumed perhaps a fish or two would be holding behind one of the many boulders close to the head of the run.  I reached the gut and switched to a 5' float and 5' of T-11 tip and removed a foot off my 8lb tippet and used a weighted Olive Sculpin pattern.


The swing became slower and I felt confident I was going to get hooked up. shortly after  I finished up at the tail with no action.  Fishing river right I was able to practise my double Spey, so all was not lost.  Only having a half day and not  enough time to access some bigger runs the single hander would be the workhorse for the last couple hours of daylight.

Old habits die hard, and the burden of hiking in with two rods paid off as I leaned heavily on my trusty crutch. 

I started at the gut with small Stone flies, black and brown, next the dirty San Juan in natural colours. Finally yarn would be tried also.  Still no hook-ups I was perplexed.  I knew there were fish in this run,  I was however starting to think their numbers were dwindling and most had started to drop back to more favourable lies.  I went back at it and this time started with the biggest pattern in my fly box.  A huge black Stone fly, hitched of course.


 Minutes later the indicator slid to the side and I checked it with an over zealous down and to the bank hook-set.  The clean hen thrashed about and made several nice jumps, waiting patiently for her to settle I landed her.  

 After a quick pic she bolted back to the stained deeper water vanishing from sight.  I stuck with the pattern and would take another fish on it.   A scrappy buck with more colour and just as much spirit kept me pointing the tip of the rod at him as he took to the air five times.
 

I decided to head back as I was running out of time and did not feel like hiking out in the dark.


  I broke both rods down and with my headphones in and tunes cranked,  I rocked my way back to my Van.



4 comments:

  1. No shame in reaching for the crutch Tony. Some of us strive to fish specific ways as that is who we are but there comes a moment where using back up tactics shows that one is prepared and not narrow-minded facing in only one direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Gil. No shame here. It is what it is, a highly effective way to catch fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Sounds like It's time to crank out the jigs for the float guys.

    ReplyDelete